Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Unplugged for one week"


Last Saturday, I told my family that beginning on Sunday we were going to keep the television off for one week.  No one, including Mommy or Daddy were going to be watching the time stealer.  We were all going to have to keep our selves busy and occupied in other ways.  It was an eye opener.  I was unaware of how much that machine hanging on my wall was stealing from right underneath my very nose.  It was taking precious time away and in return nothing.  Zero return on my investment.  The first morning was probably the hardest for the kids.  It was Sunday and too early to call their friends to play.  My youngest daughter said "Mommy I really want to watch T.V., I have nothing to do."  My response, "Sure you can watch T.V. It is a nice black screen.  Doesn't it look nice."  Needless to say, she didn't like my response.  Within the hour, she and her brother were making forts with the couches and having a lot of fun.

Score:  T.V. 0  Brain: 1  Game on.


The evenings were a little harder on myself and my husband.  That is the time we sit and vegetate in front of this mindless machine.  In reflecting it is what you do, because to watch television it doesn't require a lot of work and your brain can seriously just do nothing.  Not really a good thing.  This week I didn't have my time stolen so I started and almost completed some tasks that I have been wanting to do.  I painted my entire office, walls and trim, started to design my son's stool, made a birthday present for a child's 4th birthday, read, listened a lot to on-line radio BBC and NPR, coached a good friend, played games with my kids, played with the dog, treasured all the time that wasn't being stolen from me.

Score:  T.V. 0 Brain 7

Winner Declared for the week of Sept. 19th:  The BRAIN

To unplug for one week was great.  We all were able to see how we spent those precious moments in a more creative fulfilling way.  My kids were outside more, they played games with each other, we enjoyed the solitude of a quiet house free of the noise clutter, it was a great week.  The T. V. went on this morning though not for long and we all watched The Dog Whisperer together.  It was a good show to break us back into television watching.  As I write this blog, my husband is watching T.V. in the other room and I can't say I am enjoying the noise.  I would much rather be listening to my BBC radio or NPR.  The silence has been broken.   It is missed.   We will do this again, it was therapeutic, rewarding and a great way to reflect on how we spend those priceless moments in life.  I challenge you, unplug for a week and see what happens.

Score:  T.V. 1 Brain: 0
We'll have to see how this week goes with the time stealer.

What children do when they aren't watching T.V.
"There is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, and who steals what is most precious to men:  time. "
                                                               ~Napoleon I, Maxims, 1815
 

1 comment:

ruthpclark said...

This sounds fantastic! So happy you were able to do this :)