Thursday, September 17, 2009

Preparation + Dedication = SUCCESS

Recently I have begun the yearly ritual of helping my children with their homework.  Sitting down with them, explaining what the teacher is asking for,  and answering questions that luckily are only on a 2nd and 3rd grade levels.  I fear the day, which is right around the corner, that the answers won't come so easily.  I am teaching them about what it means to be prepared.  It will mean the difference between 80% right on their spelling test vs. 100% right.   I will encourage them to strive for the 100%.

So much of success in life is about being prepared.  When we fail we should ask ourselves had I been more prepared would I of succeeded? Did I really dedicate a sufficient amount of time to preparation?  If I were to do it over, what would I have done it  differently?  Do I need assistance and if so from whom?  Was I well organized?

After a little one on one with yourself,  think of a strategy for your  mission of attack.  You can win this war, just prepare yourself for the battle and go for it.

Here are some steps that might help you be better prepared.
1. Have a very clear vision of your goal.
2.  Determine what steps need to occur to reach that goal with 100% accuracy.
3. Think of any and all obstacles that you might incur and devise a strategy to overcoming them.
4. Devote more time than you think you might need to being prepared.
5. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
6. Give yourself homework assignments with specific due dates.  Hold yourself accountable.  Team up with another individual to keep you on target.
7. Research.  Knowledge is power.
8. Be open to learning different techniques and philosophies.
9. Seek out a mentor.
10. If you want to be the best at something find out who are the leaders in that area and emulate them.  This immediately brought to mind Michael Phelps.  If I want to be as good as a swimmer as him I should expect to be swimming 6 hours a day, 6 days a week without fail.  That may or may not make me as good but I would definitely be prepared.

When you are 110% prepared, your rate of success increases 10 fold as well as your self esteem.

"Success always comes when preparation meets opportunity"
Henry Hartman

No comments: