Monday, December 5, 2011

The Magic of Christmas


Having grown-up with a mother that believed in the magic of Christmas until her untimely death at 57 I find this time of year magical.  Despite the running around, the overwhelming sense of consumerism, I relish in the magic it brings to my three children.  Sleigh tracks that have magically appeared near the special mailbox that is only used this time of year.   The little elf that is secretly exploring our house. The mysterious red light coursing through the sky on trial runs, and the personalized e-mails that were sent by none other than the big jolly man himself.   MAGIC

To create it is simple, BELIEVE.  Believe in the spirit of Christmas.  Have it live in your heart, share it with others, enjoy its joy and magic.  Watching my children run to the mailbox to see if their letters were taken only to return with three very unique chocolate Santas.  Ones that could only of been made at the North Pole.  The look of wonderment in their eyes while searching for the little elf Jingle, who is quite clever.  These are the real gifts of Christmas.

Now I cannot lie and say that I always walk around with Christmas joy in my pocket because that is not the truth.  Sunday was a day I was struggling to capture this joy.  The day consisted of listening to a group of children (5), three of them mine, fight, bicker, quit, cry etc. all regarding the Christmas play that was to be performed at 5:30pm.  I was dreading it.  I was irritated that not only did I have to listen to them fight about it all day but now I had to sit down and watch it, wondering when the first quarrel would erupt between the siblings.  Well, the play began promptly at 5:30.  Children are very punctual when they are in charge.  I watched, I listened, I sat in awe.  It was so beautiful words cannot express how much joy a play designed, staged, and directed by five children ranging in ages of 5 yrs. old to 10 yrs. old brought to five grown adults.

On an early December day I had the privilege of a front row seat watching the spirit of Christmas come to life.  How grateful am I.

No comments: