Monday, October 19, 2009

Saying Goodbye


Saying goodbye is never easy especially if it means forever.  Recently I was given heart wrenching news...our family dog,Porter, of 13 years was diagnosed with a cancerous mass in his spleen and most likely has liver cancer.  For the last 13 years Porter and I  have both been pretty inseparable.  Where ever I go, he goes, when ever I am upset, he understands and comes and comforts me, I leave he has to come, he truly is my shadow.  I don't think I have ever really gotten mad at him for doing something wrong.  The only thing I can say that has made me mad was when he would wonder off while we were on a walk.

Porter is a yellow lab mix with the most beautiful heart.  In all the encounters with other dogs, he has only growled and showed aggression twice.  All he ever wants is to be in the middle of everything surrounded by people.  When we play a game, he has to sit in my lap.  When I have friends over, he is quietly laying underneath the table, when we have a bonfire he is right there enjoying it too, and when we all would go sledding he would run up and down the hill following us.   I could not ask for a more loving, gentle, amazing gift.

You see Porter was homeless, abandoned near Porter Square in Boston.  My mom was dying and Rob wanted to get me a puppy to try and help me cope.   I had her requirements down to a  T.  She was going to be a girl, pure bred yellow (almost white) lab puppy named Grimmy.  A friend knew Rob was looking and called us after they found Porter.  No one ever claimed him so they wanted to know if we would be interested.  My first thought was no because I knew what I wanted and he wasn't it...pure bred, girl, almost white, puppy lab.  We went and met him.  I knew.  He was to be our first dog.  We needed each other.    Little did I know how much.  It didn't take long for both Porter and I to become the best of friends.  Always looking to one another for unconditional love and attention.

He has taught me so many lessons.  Sometimes the greatest gifts are the ones you don't look for.  Being a mutt, a little bit of this, a little bit of that makes for the most beautiful animal.  Love should always be given and given unconditionally.  Embrace today, roll down the windows, stick your head out and smell life.

Initially I thought he wasn't' exactly what I was looking for how wrong was I.  There isn't any amount of money or breed lineage that could produce a dog so perfect for me than Porter.  Reflecting back on all the years and memories I am eternally grateful that he came into my life.  It will not be the same when he is gone.  I have no idea how many more days I have with my dog but I do know that I will shower him will all the love and attention I can until I can no longer.   The present is just that a present.




"Dogs are miracles with paws." 
Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

"Dogs' lives are too short.  Their only fault, really."

Agnes Sligh Turnbull





 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So moving and what a tribute to an amazing friend. The photographs brought tears to my eyes. He'll always be your forever dog:)