Monday, November 16, 2009

"21 Days"


Did you know that if you live to 82, that you will have lived 29,950- days (including leap years) , 718,000-hours and 43,128,000-minutes.  Did you know that 21 days is only .7% of your life.  It isn't even 1%.  They say that it takes 21 days to create a habit.  Think of all the endless possibilities that can happen when you adopt a new positive habit for 21 days.

Floss your teeth for 21 days=  better health, lower your chances of gum disease
Exercise everyday for 21 days= lower blood pressure, feel healthier.  The key is to try and do it the same time everyday
Stop complaining for 21 days= more positive outlook (see complaint free world)
De-clutter a room for 21 days= a clutter free house (check out Flylady.net)
No t.v. for 21 days= more quality time spent doing other things, games with your family, reading
No gossiping for 21 days= better energy
No sugar for 21 days= Elimination of extreme energy highs/lows
No fast food for 21 days.= overall better feeling
Eat healthier for 21 days= More energy.  Your body will start to crave the healthy foods vs. junk food.
Get up a half our earlier for 21 days= maximize your day and begin it by focusing in on you and taking care of you.
Get 7/8 hours of sleep everyday for 21 days= eat less, more focused, less irritability

I didn't really think about the so called "habit feeling" until I reflected on some of my daily habits.  I read religiously every night.  I may only read 5 or maybe 20 minutes but I read EVERY night.  I started to think about how I felt when I didn't read, I missed it.  It is so much a part of my day, it is a daily ritual and when I don't I read my day doesn't feel complete.  My 21 day goals now are to floss daily...so far I am up to 5 days (my dentist will be ecstatic), walking 2 miles 1st thing in the morning 6:00 am. wake-up call.  I have successfully done it 3 days in a row missed one (today), no gossiping (I had to start over), and starting Monday tracking everyday what I spend and where I want to spend my money.

There is an unlimited amount of things that you can do in 21 days...pick one, chart your progress with a 21 day progress chart that is visual and you can see it everyday, wear a bracelet or piece of jewelry to remind yourself of your goal, celebrate when you have completed the 21 days.  Push yourself and go for the gold a 30 day habit.   Make sure that if you mess up, forgive yourself and begin again....

Good luck and post all your successes.  I would love to hear about them.


"There's no thrill in easy sailing when the skies are clear and blue, there's no joy in merely doing things which any one can do.  But there is some sweet satisfaction that is mighty sweet to take, when you reach a destination that you thought you'd  never make."
Spirella


No comments: