Thursday, September 10, 2009

"Karma" and Random Acts of Kindness

Have you ever really thought about Karma.  According to Wikipedia, in the Buddhism belief is that "Karma" is directly related  to motives behind action.  The motivation usually will make the difference between good and bad.  I can tell you first hand I firmly believe it is true.  Have you ever done something knowing you shouldn't and then got caught?  Have you ever taken something only to have it break?  Have you ever done something nice for another person and then a string of great things happened to you?

When you are out about in your travels perform a random act of kindness.  (Good karma) Then sit and watch how your day will transform for the better.  Here are some things I have done as well as I have read about others doing;
       Treat the person behind you in the drive thru line to a free cup of coffee.
       Pay for a strangers toll and tell the toll booth attendant to tell them to have a wonderful day.
       Send a thank you card to your pediatrician, doctor, dentist
       or any specialist that has helped to keep you well.
       When you receive great customer service, ask to see the manager to compliment the employee. 
       Send in a comment card to the manager/owner of a company describing your excellent experience.
       Make some cookies and give them to your mailman, the UPS driver, or anyone else that may make frequent stops at your house  as a thank you.
       Leave a fresh summer bouquet of flowers on an anonymous door step.
       Walk your streets and clean up the trash.
       When you know a friend is having a difficult time send a little note of inspiration.
        Buy a meal for a homeless person.
       Leave a flower and a note on a car wishing the person a great day.
       For your loved ones, put hidden notes of love in briefcases, lunch boxes, wallets, sun visors, in between their cell phone or any place upon opening they will be nicely surprised.
       Take a week off from negative comments.  Make it a compliments only week.
       Help the elderly.  Volunteer at a nursing home/ shelter or senior center.

Try any one of the above and I promise you, the return on investment is better than anything you will ever earn from the stock market or pay check.  You will be surprised when you act in such a grateful giving manner the inner rewards that you will receive.

The Hindu religion believes that Karma is produced in 4 ways.
 1) through thoughts
 2) through words
 3) through actions that we perform ourselves
 4) through actions other do under our instructions

So if you follow the above and want good "Karma", which I know I do, then I will have to have positive thoughts, offer positive uplifting words to others, act in a manner that is positive energy and ask those around me to help me with some random acts of kindness.

I find that when I adhere to the above, good things usually come my way but that is not my purpose for doing such acts.  Now these rewards aren't usually monumental or life changing, i.e. getting a good parking spot at the mall, finding a dollar,  but I ALWAYS feel inexplicably good.  As one of the credit cards summed it up nicely "Priceless."

So promise yourself to perform one random act of kindness tomorrow and start to illicit good "Karma" because it is only one act away.

"Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny. "
Tryon Edwards
 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I so believe in Karma. People nowadays are so caught up in their own stressful lives that random acts of kindness (and good Karma)are few and far between. I remember a few years ago, my husband, son, daughter and I were eating at Cracker Barrel and this older gentleman approached us. He said to my husband and I, "you have done a wonderful thing for your children and your children are very lucky"-(our two children are adopted from Korea). As he said this, he handed us a $10 bill and said "it's not much but you did a beautiful, wonderful and loving thing in adopting your two children". What a nice thing to do on his part, not that I take money from people but he wouldn't take it back. I always say to people that my husband and I are the lucky ones when we adopted our two wonderful children. To this day, my husband still carries that $10 bill folded up in his wallet to remind us that there are still good people out there in the world that perform random acts of kindness and there should be more. Think of the world and what it would be like, if everyone just got along a little better and did for other people instead of doing just for themselves.