Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The First Day of School

Yesterday was the first day of school for my two daughters.  They awoke with anticipation excitement and butterflies.  The dressed eagerly and with great care.  First impressions are important even to a seven and eight year old.  They ate a light healthy breakfast because the butterflies were taking up too much space in their  tummies.  They put on their backpacks, Mommy and Daddy took pictures, the bus came, we kissed good-bye and they left.

I cried.

I cried for so many reasons.  I cried because I will miss them.  I will miss their noise, their faces, their company, their laughter, their yelling, their commotion, I will just miss them.  It is hard to believe that the summer is already over.  It ended the night they had to go to bed early because they had to get up for school the next day.  How I love letting them stay up late and get up when they want.  I love that the day is free to do whatever we want.  I love summer for all of those reasons and then some.

The street was quiet Monday.  No bikes were out.  No kids running around the yard yelling, "1, 2, 3, 4, here I come!", no loud laughter coming from the playscape,  silence.  Sad heart wrenching quietness.  The first day for school for me is always hard.  I don't like saying good-bye to what was,  my special time with my kids.   I am excited they love school.  I can only hope my children's love affair with school never ends.  I hope they never feel satiated and always desire more.

Their new school year has just begun.  They will learn so much.  I too am looking forward to relearning many things.  How lucky are we. We get to go back to school, re-educate ourselves on things we have long forgotten and not have to worry about the final grade.  So as my children promise to do their best in school this year, I too will promise them that I will do my best as a parent to help them.

In the meantime, I will be counting the days and weeks till we can stay up late, sleep in, do what we want when we want , and just spend unlimited time together.
"There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart." Celia Thaxter
                                                                                                                    

2 comments:

Stacey "The Bra Lady" said...

My thoughts exactly! Very well written. It is always a bitter-sweet experience, the first day of school. I cry because I will miss spending time with them but also because it means they are another year older and I realize just how fast the past year went bye. I am also excited, for the new opportunities and experiences that the new school year will bring for each of my children and for me and for our family as a whole. More new memories to be created!

I always remind myself, these days are precious, and I will never get these moments back. Nothing I am doing is ever too important to stop and listen to what they have to say or see what they have to show me. I make a point everyday to give each of them a huge hug as soon as I see them and get the whole scoop on their day. I also tell them everything I did, exciting and not so exciting stuff.

It is only day three and I am already counting down the days to our next vacation together. Can't wait!

MamaKnowsBest said...

My son started the 2nd grade at a brand new school this year. I don't know who was more nervous, him or I. He came home grinning from ear to ear though and he hasn't pretended to be sick yet so I'm pretty sure it's going well for him.

Summer will be back before we know it! (hopefully)